Wednesday, December 16, 2009

High Promise(s) of Significant Contribution to Society and Progress

The (painfully-honest) interview I did with Myles McCorry of Bike Pure has has been circulating more widely now, appearing on sites in Australia and Pez in Canada - all of which is good for the clean-sport message we're trying to promote. You don't need drugs to race your bike - or to compete in any sport for that matter. Yes, drugs can make you faster in the short-term, but at a cost that should be seen as unacceptably high (in addition to being illegal, unethical, immoral and dangerous). I've said it before and I'll say it again - I would give the equivalent of my "left nut" to be able to rewind time and stay off the dirty doping road. Since I can't, I tell my story and don't hide how doping destroyed my sporting career and imperiled my life, but explain that I'm doing my best to adapt to this new reality and fulfill the prediction that was made in 1999, when I was "awarded as a special honor...[the] designation as a University Scholar - one who shows high promise of significant contribution to society and progress" by the University of Pittsburgh...



Last week I delivered two lectures at Slippery Rock University on the same topic and look forward to additional speaking engagements and opportunities to share my story in the service of clean sport and protecting the next generation of cyclists from the same evils that befell me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joe,

    Do you expect to return to racing at any level in the near future? Regionally or Nationally? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Manicmtbr...I don't *expect* to return to racing on any front, though someday I would definitely *like* to return to competing. In fact, I'd really like to tie-together working in an anti-doping education capacity with competing for fun and working on behalf of teams, sponsors or NGB's in an anti-doping, clean-sport PR capacity.

    ReplyDelete

Pappillon welcomes your comments and encourages your participation. Comments may, however, be moderated.