Saturday, August 21, 2010

Weekend Update - Jeff Evanshine

Summer is coming to a close here in the Northern Hemisphere, and I'd be lying if I said that didn't leave me a bit melancholy. I consider myself lucky to have had the chance to spend the entire summer back in the saddle, stringing together weeks of consecutive rides after not having ridden more than two days-in-a-row for nearly four years! But as road cyclists, we live for sunny days when we can roll out in short sleeves and the dark Oakley lenses. And soon enough it will be arm warmers and persimmon, before thermal jackets and long-finger gloves. Oh how I dread the winter.

BUT - we're not there yet! Hopefully we'll enjoy the luxury of an Indian Summer, and then it will be off to sunny SoCal (or somewhere warm) for xmas and the new year. Wouldn't that be nice?

Anyone have any experience with Ergon Bike Ergonomics' TP1 Shimano SPD cleat-alignment tool? If so, please leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Mike Creed is feeling unloved. Follow him on Twitter and give the guy a virtual hug, why dontcha?

I love military history, primarily WW2. My father and both of his brothers served in the US Army, and one of my favorite memories from childhood is sneaking up to our attic and discovering my dad's duffel bag. Perhaps I'd never have found cycling if cancer didn't kill him on its third-try, because I'd have chosen national service instead. Probably not, though! One amazing rider who did throw-away a promising career as a top-professional was American Jeff Evanshine, the 1991 Junior World Champion. Had he won worlds in the "Modern Era" (the time in cycling since the widespread-acceptance of the Internet), he might be in a position similar to that of Damiano Cunego, another former Junior WC who just signed a massive contract renewal with Lampre-ISD. Instead, Evanshine joined the Army, only to find that it was not at all what he'd expected. I remember standing with Mike Fraysse in his Victorian mansion in upstate-NY in 1996 when some correspondence or message arrived either directly from Evanshine or on his behalf, asking Fraysse (who was president of USCF and had a seat on the Board of Directors) to try to help the poor kid get out of the service.

Anyway, back to military history: check out this video and tell me if at minute 3:23 you don't think the pilot who's still flying is attempting to murder the downed aviator who's taken to his parachute?! Remember, gun camera only records when the trigger is depressed...

U-Boat, anyone?

Remember the Strock Case?

3 comments:

  1. If anyone reading this knows Jeff Evanshine, and can get in touch w/ him on my behalf - or if Jeff himself is reading this - I'd like to catch-up with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ergon all talk no action. Idea is ok but not complete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment, Anon.

    ReplyDelete

Pappillon welcomes your comments and encourages your participation. Comments may, however, be moderated.