Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Cycling Memorabilia

Cycling Memorabilia - we all have it (if we're cycling fans, current competitors, ex-pro's, parents of a junior or even the most cynical journalist - even the ones from Ireland!). As a junior, I collected a few "pro" things like team and rider trading/publicity cards, century (100 mile ride) patches, souvenir programs and other scraps that I was able to paw while very much on the outside looking-in.

As an elite (both pro and elite 2 w/o contract), I primarily collected three things (in addition to top-5 placings and wins, UCI points on three continents and accounts of adventures that were significantly larger than the accounts into which my race winnings were deposited): 1) race credentials, 1) foreign currency, and 3) race numbers.

I also was better-than-average at convincing some Hispanic-members of the fairer sex that my blue eyes and mastery of their language, with a bad Uruguayan accent thrown-in to boot, meant that I wasn't just another American "Joe." The subsequent phone numbers were tossed in along with results sheets from stages in which I placed well, and even a couple of team room lists, filched from hotel corridors lined with doors behind which slept the stars of Mapei and Kelme - who beat upon me daily.

Someday I'll release the transcript of my one and only English "conversation" as competitors with Filippo "The_Ego" Pozzato, held on the streets of Pinar del Rio, Cuba, (and in closer proximity to a whorehouse than our teams' hotel), but for now, please enjoy a brief tease of what takes up space in my apt.

In the future, if anyone would be interested in collaborating on some kind of virtual, community-curated repository of pro cycling memorabilia, let me know. I'm sure that we could leverage every-less-meaningful technological advances and cheap storage space to make for the online version of a Pro Cycling Louvre!


Above:  My rider credential from the 2004 Pan Ams.


Above: Frankie Andreu's Team 7-Eleven rider postcard

1 comment:

  1. Yo tengo unas cosas que I would like to share perhaps - including a Basque headgear piece from World Championship race weekend several years ago. We talk?

    ReplyDelete

Pappillon welcomes your comments and encourages your participation. However, in commenting, you agree that you will not:1) Post material that infringes on the rights of any third party, including intellectual property, privacy or publicity rights. 2) Post material that is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, slanderous, hateful, or embarrassing to any other person or entity as determined by Pappillon in its sole discretion. 3) Impersonate another person.