Friday, May 15, 2009

Giro d'Italia TV

I've been enjoying the Giro on internet TV these last few days. The set-up is to use the video feed from Universal but with the audio muted, and in a second window open a feed from the RAI. It's like being back in Italy, except without the doping, focaccia, beautiful roads, cycling, my friends, cappuccino for breakfast, etc. haha. I'd move back to Tuscany or Liguria in a second, without hesitation. Alas, it's not to be - at least not right now, and certainly not to race bicycles. Maybe someday...hopefully.

You know I love Formula 1, and watching today's stage I caught a glimpse of one of my favorite drivers, Jarno Trulli, who looked to be padding around the finish area in Chiavenna! Bravo, Jarno! The Giro is a bike race that transcends sport and is a fundamental part of modern-day Italian culture and identity. This being the 100th anniversary of the Giro has imbued the race with an even more special quality, and I wish I was back in Italy and part of the spectacle.

But anyway...while watching the race, I've had the chance to chat with other fans and viewers, and enjoyed the conversations - even the ones that dealt with doping (unfortunately, today the site we were using to grab the RAI feed doesn't have that stream - so there is no chatting to go along with my coffee, bagel and Giro). I can appreciate Michele Scarponi's perspective, however, evident when he was asked about Puerto yesterday after his stage win in Mayrhofen im Zillertal: "I simply answer that what belongs to the past isn't to be talked about anymore." Bravo.

There are only about 50km left to race, so if you're not at work, or even if you are but think you can get away with it, check out the last hour-plus of racing:
  1. RAI Sport
  2. Universal Sport
  3. Steephill TV
Ok, I'm outta here. But before I go, lemme give shout out's to Andrea P., The Chicken, and Alfonso Gatto. Ciao a tutti!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pappillon welcomes your comments and encourages your participation. Comments may, however, be moderated.